Monday, July 1, 2013

Mi Buspla Meri

Now I know the burning question on your mind is how to say the title of my blog, but that must wait...I need to build some suspense! Mwahahaha! Aaaaaanyways, life here is just chugging along just fine, and time is flying. Yesterday we spent the afternoon at a beautiful waterfall. I was extremely excited to go and I asked the staff ladies if the hike down was very long. Of course their reply was, "No! It's not bad at all, if you have shoes that can get wet I would wear them, but other than that it's not problem at all." So of course I trust them completely and go it extremely excited to see this water fall thinking I will walk down a hill (Kansas-size hill, which we all know is virtually no change in elevation) and land on this beautiful oasis, and sit the afternoon away in the sun. Boy I could not have been more wrong!! We drove over a horribly bumpy and flooded roads, and parked the vans in front of a small village house and started walking towards the bush behind the house. I get to the start of the jungle and look at what we are walking down. My eyes got really big when I saw a VERY steep hill with a slippery, muddy path to get down to the stream below. I took a deep breath and said, "OK Jesus, don't let me fall too hard." I made it down the hill (for lack of better terminology) without falling (that was a miracle) and started walking in the stream. I though the water fall would be right there, but I was once again sadly mistaken.

Long story short, after climbing over numerous tree trunks, rocks, and avoiding big spiders. We finally made it to the water fall! It was absolutely beautiful! I had so much fun because there was a part we could climb up and jump about (20 feet) into a pool of fresh, cold water below. Some nationals were there and were absolutely laughing about how hysterical some of us girls were about jumping off of this cliff. After we were there for a bit, we climbed up the water fall, and took another route to get back to the vans (I only had 5 prayers during that trip haha). I was worn out, but it was completely worth all the bumps, scrapes, and sore muscles. The staff told us we are going to an even better waterfall on Tuesday (with more nationals so we can practice our Tok Pisin) so I will definitely have to write about that.

Today (which right now is Sunday afternoon for me) we had an awesome church sermon. Greg (one of the staff missionaries here) gave an amazing talk about how Paul was a Champion Loser for Christ. He quickly walked through the life of Christ and explained all the trials and persecution Paul endured to spread the Gospel. I was so convicted. The main point of the sermon was that we as Christians need to die to our old life, so Christ can live within and work through us. After being here for a couple of weeks I forget how comfortable my life is in the States. I have everything at my finger tips, and I have never once endured anything like the Apostle Paul endured. I challenged myself for when I come back to the States to set my life up so that Christ is my first priority. I need to die to my life and live solely for Christ. Granted that is MUCH easier said than done, but that is why I'm writing this. Please pray for me that i will have the courage to follow through with the things God has laid on my heart, and that I would be willing to face any challenges he sets before me. Well I better go because we are celebrating one of the MK's birthdays in a few minutes. Thanks for the continued support everybody!

Wilderness Woman
Lydia

P.S. Oh! I almost forgot, after all the adventurous hiking we did to get to the waterfall my language helper now says I can call myself a Buspla Meri (pronounced Boospla Merry) and it means a Bush Woman. I was ecstatic to hear her say that because I am trying so hard to fit in with the culture and face every challenge set before me. Well now I really do need to go! Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment