Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Well I have finally arrived in the beautiful country of PNG. It was all surreal at first, but it is now starting to set in little by little. When we first arrived on the mission base I was a walking zombie, I was soooooo tired I barely made it through dinner. As soon as we arrived in PNG I could immediately tell the differences in culture. It was humid, strange sounds everywhere, and the smell was completely different than the air-conditioned first world I came from. 

Despite all these differences, I completely love it here. It is absolutely gorgeous! The mission base is on a hill, and when I look out on the front lawn we have a beautiful view of the ocean and the airstrip. The staff here are so friendly and made me feel right at home, I couldn't ask for better people to be with me on this experience. 

This year Interface is held on a support mission base, so we will get to see firsthand the inner workings of the tribal missions. They said that as pilot flew in or different opportunities arose, they would try to take a few of us at a time to see first hand how the support team operates in PNG. Today the opportunity arose to go help a lady that was coming in by a small boat to go to the House Sick (Pigin for Hospital). She had been having severe stomach pain for 5 months now, and she finally decided to come get it checked out. We met her at the boat dock and drove her as far as we could to a valley where she had another 20 min. walk to actually get to the House Sick. It is crazy to think that this lady lived with this pain for 5 months, took a 6 hour boat ride (on a small boat that you would maybe take to the lake), and a 20 min. walk just to get to people that might be able to help her. God has taught me so much already, and it is crazy to see how different life is here. I'm so excited to see what else God has in store for me. 

Well I better quit hogging the computer now, so I'll talk to you guys later! Thanks for the prayers!!

Lyddo

No comments:

Post a Comment